Help for Searching the Database
Common Questions or Problems
How can I improve my search results?
- Use the Advanced Search or Consultant Finder Search forms to submit your search.
- Put a small number of essential terms in the required fields to eliminate listings without them. All required terms must be present for a listing to be found.
- Put key phrases in "" to elevate the ranking of listings containing them.
- The search terms are split into phrases using "" and , to indicate the boundary of a phrase.
- The search terms are divided into groups of one, two, and three words in the order they are entered. Common words such as "and", "a", etc., are ignored.
- Each occurrence of a case-sensitive exact match receives four points.
- Each occurrence of a case-insensitive partial-word match receives one point.
- Each occurrence of a phrase or word in that was in "" in the search terms receives three times the points.
For example, the following search terms:
A "System Engineering" expert in control and communicationSearch for matches with the following words and phrases:
- A "System Engineering" expert in control and communication
- control communication
- expert control
- expert control communication
- "System Engineering"
- "System Engineering" expert
- "System Engineering" expert control
This bar shows graphically the rank of the listing compared to the most relevant listing found.
|Field||What It Searches|
|General Search Field||Matches any of the fields in the listings.|
|Technical Category (Required, Desired, or Optional)||Exact match in one of the eight technical categories selected by the consultant.|
|City, State, Non-U.S. Country, Metropolitan Area||Exact match in each of these fields|
|Area Code||First three digits in the telephone number.|
|Zip Code||Up to 5 digits in the zip code. If you enter less than 5 digits, it matches the number entered. (Ex: 90 matches 90000 to 90999)|
|Contract Type||"1099 Tax Basis or as an Independent Contract" matches all listings since all consultants will work independently.|
"W-2 Tax Basis or through a Contract Firm" matches only those consultants indicating that they are willing to work through a contract engineering firm.
"Either" matches all listings.
|Task for the consultant|
What technology will be used?
Software or tools to be used
|Finds matches in the Slogan, Key Phrases, Technical Categories, Description, and Software Tools Expertice fields|
|Areas of Expertise (Required or Optional)||Finds matches in the Slogan, Key Phrases, Technical Categories, Description, and Software Tools Expertice fields|
|Software or Tool Experience|
Software and Tool Expertise
|Finds matches in the Software Tools Expertice field|
|Degrees, Licenses or Certifications|
|Finds matches in the Titles and Certifications fields|
|Foreign Language Proficiency|
|Finds matches in the Foreign Language field|
|Technical Terms||Finds matches in the Slogan, Key Phrases, Technical Categories, Description, and Software Tools Expertice fields|
|Actively Seeking International Assignments?||Finds matches if the consultant indicated that he or she was actively seeking international assignments.|
|Available for Contract Engineering?||Matches only those consultants indicating that they are willing to work through a contract engineering firm.|
|Last Name||Matches the number of characters entered here with the that number of characters in the last name field. (Ex: "Ste" matches Stevens, Stern, Stensen, etc.)|
|First Name||Matches the number of characters entered here with the that number of characters in the last name field. (Ex: "Bo" matches Bob, Bobbie, etc.) The software also matches common nicknames. (Ex: "Robert" matches Robert, Rob, Bob, and Bobbie)|